If you’ve been around here for any length of time, you know that I have tried and trialled many skincare products, in an effort to alleviate the hormonal/cystic acne that seems to erupt every once in a while for me. I’ve struggled with my skin since puberty, and spent hundreds on different products. I have heard that your skin changes in your 30’s anyway, so my efforts now as a 35 (eeep, 36 tomorrow) year-old woman are more towards natural and breathing life into my skin as much as possible.
Last year I did a one-month sugar and dairy cleanse, to troubleshoot if those were triggers. I used #foodforskinmamma. I didn’t notice any major connections. (kinda happy about that!) The one product I have found success with is Rodan & Fields – and while they aren’t natural or organic, it works, and was okay to use when I was pregnant! You can see more of that initial acne skincare journey here where I showed some before and after pictures. I have now finally consented to use their Unblemish line when I need to, and supplement the rest with natural skincare products. I have tried to go ALL natural, and it doesn’t seem to prevent or treat fresh breakouts for me like I wish it would! Some of it actually irritates my skin more.
So here is a list of the products I have tried and like, and what I use them for. I don’t use each one every day, but throughout the week.
- Rodan & Fields, Unblemish – An American product, and the creators of ProActiv, this product works. It just does. I am using the wash and lotion once daily. I find that using it any more than that dries out my skin. But within days I notice a difference with this stuff!
- Coconut oil – this has been the best product to remove make up and nourish my skin at the same time. I use this at night with about a quarter size lathered into my skin. Then I place a warm wash cloth over my face, let it steam, and remove the day away!
- Apple Cider Vinegar – I use this as a toner, twice a day. I mix a little bit of water with it, as straight ACV is quite strong!
- Jojoba oil mixed with essential oils – I currently have a roller boll with 3 essential oils mixed with jojoba oil as my carrier oil. I found tea tree oil is quite strong just used topically, but this mix of Rosemary, Lavender and Frankincense (doTerra) are my current moisturizer, day and night. These oils are touted for their skin benefits, and this mix doesn’t seem to irritate my skin!
- Lush, Dark Angels scrub – I’ve tried a few different items from Lush, and this one I chose because it has charcoal in it. Charcoal is something I had ‘heard’ was good for skin. My main qualm about this product is that it’s kind of hard to get off; a gentle rinse doesn’t do it. You have to really scrub! Maybe it’s just my skin texture? It’s a great exfoliator though, and smells wonderful! I use this maybe twice a week, as I heard you should exfoliate every few days 🙂
- Bentonite Clay – I first heard about this clay when I was pregnant, but it wasn’t advised to use for pregnant women. It is a fantastic detoxifier, among many other things. Here’s an article by Dr Axe on the health benefits of bentonite clay. I mix it with a bit of water and ACV to create a mask and it’s oh so smooth and I do notice it ‘purges’ the pimples! (gross, I know). I use this now maybe twice a week.
So, there you have it. My skincare routine that seems to be working (fist pump/hallelujah/happy dance)! Perhaps some of that could help you?
Happy friday all …